Subject: Re: freebsd bootstrap problem
To: None <pkgsrc-users@netbsd.org>
From: George Georgalis <george@galis.org>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 05/30/2006 20:31:11
On Tue, May 30, 2006 at 05:11:03PM -0700, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
>> Well, spoke too soon...
>> cd /usr/pkgsrc/shells/pdksh/ && make install 2>&1 | tee pdksh.install
>>
>> Unknown modifier 'u'
>
>You are using FreeBSD's native "make".
>
>Use the brand-new make just installed by pkgsrc bootstrap instead.

hey this is fun, just like Linux.

>This is in the pkgsrc Guide, but if you have suggestions where we can
>better mention this, please let us know.

I'd like to see it here
http://netbsd.org/Documentation/pkgsrc/platforms.html#freebsd
and in section 4.2.3, maybe if it said

      * Darwin (Mac OS X) * DragonFly BSD * FreeBSD * Interix
      (Windows 2000, XP, 2003) * IRIX * Linux * OpenBSD * Solaris
      * Tru64" (Digital UNIX/OSF1)

(instead of 'Note') I'd have noticed. :-\

I'm not being sarcastic, I scanned the doc many times looking for
FreeBSD notes, but only found them in secton 3.2.

Best,
// George

http://galis.org/ cell:646-331-2027 mailto:george@galis.org