Subject: Re: Getting the latest pkgsrc.tar.gz
To: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
From: Rakhesh Sasidharan <rakheshster@gmail.com>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 05/28/2006 13:36:14
On 5/28/06, John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca> wrote:
>      That is the theory...  The idea is that if there are empty
> directories on the local drive after the update, the directory will be
> removed.  However, the README.html file isn't in the repository.  These
> are generated and added when the tarball is created.  Since they aren't
> in the repository, cvs won't remove them from the local system.  This
> means that the directory of packages that have been removed won't be
> completely empty, which in turn means that cvs won't remove the
> directory.  I don't know of any automated way of cleaning out these
> directories.  However, if you come across a directory that has nothing
> but a README.html file (and possibly a work directory), you can assume
> that the package was deleted and delete the directory.  BTW, you can
> create the README.html files yourself by typing 'cd /usr/pkgsrc && make
> readme'.

Oh ok. Quick question: A package usually has files like "Makefile" and
"PLIST" and "DESCR" and so on. Once the package is no longer
maintained, these files wont be there in the repository. So does "cvs
up -dP" take care of removing these files from the unmaintained
package directory the local tree, or do these files too remain?

I would have assumed that yes, "cvs up -dP" does remove a file from
the local store if its not present in the repository, but then that
would mean all the local README.html files too would have been removed
long ago by the command (they are present locally but not in the
repository). Which is obviously not the case ...

Rakhesh

--=20
=09NetBSD/i386 3.0 | Toshiba Satellite L10-102
=09http://search.gmane.org/?query=3D&group=3Dgmane.os.netbsd.* (archives)
=09http://man.netbsd.org/ (manpages)