Subject: Re: (GNOME) Totem and "Mutlimedia Systems Selector" issues
To: None <pkgsrc-users@netbsd.org>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 05/27/2006 20:19:30
On 5/27/06, Christian Biere <christianbiere@gmx.de> wrote:

> > >Hmm, are you sure?  I always thought xvid and divx were different
> > >codecs, although very similar ones.  If xvidcore is indeed
> > >divx-compatible... that'd be great.
>
> > Doesn't say if its compatible with DivX or not.
>
> As far as I recall, XviD is actually a superset of DivX. It's
> all MPEG-4 anyway but DivX implements less of it. The website
> of XviD mentions "Improved compliancy with DivX profiles" in
> the release messages. I have yet to come across a video file
> that cannot be played with MPlayer. DRM dirt doesn't count.

But... mplayer uses win32-codecs and there you have the divx binary
plugin, isn't it?  Sorry, cannot check it now myself (I'm not
completly sure about any of both).

If that is indeed true (that XviD supports DivX videos, which it seems
to be), I certainly should spend more time to make totem work with
~any media format!

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
The Julipedia - http://julipedia.blogspot.com/