Subject: Re: GNOME screensaver hangs
To: None <M.Drochner@fz-juelich.de>
From: Rakhesh Sasidharan <rakheshster@gmail.com>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 05/27/2006 14:43:59
On 5/27/06, Matthias Drochner <M.Drochner@fz-juelich.de> wrote:

> rakheshster@gmail.com said:
> > I guess the easiest workaround for this would be to switch to "gamin"
> > then instead of "fam"?
>
> It depends. That switch would require recompilation
> of all pkgs depending on "fam".
> If you have system sources around anyway it is certainly
> faster to pull in that patch and recompile libc.

Ouch! Ok, that's big. :)

I do have the system sources around actually. What do I have to do to
pull in that patch and recompile libc? I have compiled my own kernel,
and I am familiar with cvs in terms of updating my pkgsrc -- just
mentioning that so you have an idea of my background while explaining.

> So, sorry, this is all a bit unfortunate, but I don't
> know an easier fix -- except perhaps a friendly person
> providing a libc binary. (I can't, I'm running -current
> exclusively.)

Hmm, that's ok. If building a patched libc binary is difficult, then
I'll just hang around till the next formal release comes. As of now I
have just disabled my screensaver, and so it doesn't bother me much. I
suppose NetBSD 3.1 might have this patch right?

Nevertheless, I think I might just build a patched libc binary once
you tell me how to do it -- purely for learning sakes and seeing what
it involves.

Thanks,
Rakhesh

--=20
=09NetBSD/i386 3.0 | Toshiba Satellite L10-102
=09http://search.gmane.org/?query=3D&group=3Dgmane.os.netbsd.* (archives)
=09http://man.netbsd.org/ (manpages)