Re: Getting the latest pkgsrc.tar.gz

thus Rakhesh Sasidharan spake:
On 5/26/06, Geert Hendrickx <ghen%telenet.be@localhost> wrote:
On Fri, May 26, 2006 at 07:07:33AM +0400, Rakhesh Sasidharan wrote:
> for pkgsrc-current:
> (/usr/pkgsrc/current)# cvs up -dp
>
> for a specific version:
>
> (/usr/pkgsrc-2005Q3)# cvs up -dp -rpkgsrc-2005Q3

An important detail: "cvs up -dP" updates your pkgsrc but stays on the
branch you're currently on (-HEAD, -2006Q1, or any other).  Use -A to
move to pkgsrc-HEAD, and -rpkgsrc-2006Q1 to move to pkgsrc-2006Q1.

Oops, that confused a bit.

"cvs up -dP" updates but **stays on the branch I am currently on**? As
in? What determines which branch I am currently on? I thought by
default I am on -HEAD, and if I want to move to any other branch I use
-rpkgsrc-2006Q1 (for 2006Q1 for instance).

yes, CVS gets the information on what branch you are from the CVS/Tag in your approppriate pkgsrc directory.

I just checked the CVS(1) manpage. Its a 40 page beast (printed)! Is
there any shorter introductory document that you are aware of? I am
sure the manpage is good, but for starters I'd like something shorter,
and then read the manpage once I get a hang of CVS  and its many
applications.

Thanks,
Rakhesh

timo