Subject: Re: Getting the latest pkgsrc.tar.gz
To: Rakhesh Sasidharan <rakheshster@gmail.com>
From: Geert Hendrickx <ghen@telenet.be>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 05/26/2006 12:45:37
On Fri, May 26, 2006 at 02:30:40PM +0400, Rakhesh Sasidharan wrote:
> On 5/26/06, Geert Hendrickx <ghen@telenet.be> wrote:
> >An important detail: "cvs up -dP" updates your pkgsrc but stays on the
> >branch you're currently on (-HEAD, -2006Q1, or any other).  Use -A to
> >move to pkgsrc-HEAD, and -rpkgsrc-2006Q1 to move to pkgsrc-2006Q1.
>
> Oops, that confused a bit.
>
> "cvs up -dP" updates but **stays on the branch I am currently on**? As
> in? What determines which branch I am currently on? I thought by
> default I am on -HEAD, and if I want to move to any other branch I use
> -rpkgsrc-2006Q1 (for 2006Q1 for instance).
>
> I just checked the CVS(1) manpage. Its a 40 page beast (printed)! Is
> there any shorter introductory document that you are aware of? I am
> sure the manpage is good, but for starters I'd like something shorter,
> and then read the manpage once I get a hang of CVS  and its many
> applications.

If CVS/Tag exists, it contains the tag/branch you're on.  If it doesn't,
you're on pkgsrc-HEAD.  "cvs up -dP" won't change the branch you're using.
To switch to HEAD, use -A (to reset any tags), to switch to <branch>, use
-A -r<branch>.

For a short CVS tutorial, check
http://www.csc.calpoly.edu/~dbutler/tutorials/winter96/cvs/ (you can skip
the part about putting a project under CVS), or Google for "cvs tutorial".

	Geert