Re: Getting the latest pkgsrc.tar.gz

If you have new boxes running the latest stuff that you want the latest
version of pkgsrc, you could keep it in /usr/pkgsrc-current and if you
have a couple of older boxes that are stable and shouldn't really be
touched (other than getting stuff out of pkgsrc), you could keep that
in /usr/pkgsrc-2005Q3 (should that be the branch you checked out).  You
could keep them on a central file-server and shared out via NFS, etc.

Thanks Michael. So basically I can have multiple copies of the pkgsrc
tree (under /usr/pkgsrc, /usr/pkgsrc-2005Q3, and so on) all got thru
CVS. How important is the pkgsrc  pathname btw? Can I have my pkgsrc
at some other location like say /mnt/free/pkgsrc (/mnt/free being a
partition I have with lots of free space) and things will still work
fine right?

When you work with CVS, it keeps some state and meta info in CVS
subdirs, ie:

$ ls -l /usr/pkgsrc/www/apache/CVS
total 4
-rw-r--r--  1 root wheel 480 Apr 10 11:53 Entries
-rw-r--r--  1 root wheel  18 Apr  4 14:24 Repository
-rw-r--r--  1 root wheel  45 Apr  4 14:24 Root
-rw-r--r--  1 root wheel  15 May  8 15:43 Tag

This last set of files is what CVS uses to determine what you've got in
comparison to what is in the CVS repository and send you just what you
need (what's been updated/changed) since the last update/checkout.

Great! I see that I already have these files. I used to wonder what
they are about. Now I know. Thanks. :)

Rakhesh