Subject: Re: packages modifying httpd.conf?
To: David Stipp <dstipp@coolhack.net>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 05/24/2006 12:20:56
On Wed, 24 May 2006 09:47:37 -0500, David Stipp <dstipp@coolhack.net>
wrote:

> On Mon, May 08, 2006 at 05:45:37PM -0700, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> >I do not think any packages should modify your httpd.conf.
>
> Catching up on mailing lists...
>
> Why not structure the default httpd.conf to include files out of
> configuration directories, like debian, freebsd, and others do?
>
> That way, any package could drop their config snippit into a
> configuration directory.

Can the inclusion be conditional on the file actually existing?  We'd also
need a pretty good list of "interesting" package configuration files to
include by default.

Or -- perhaps rc.d/apache could build an httpd.conf file from a base and
the contents of, say, /usr/pkg/etc/httpd/pkg_conf/*, every time you did a
'start' or a 'reload'.  Hmm....