Subject: Re: mailman group?
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 05/23/2006 23:59:56
On Tue, May 23, 2006 at 01:31:15AM +0200, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> Hi Manuel,
>
> you're currently listed as maintainer of pkgsrc/mail/mailman. Can you
> please explain this line in the pkg's Makefile to me:
>
> 	MAILMAN_MAILGROUP?=     guest # group of user 'daemon'
>
> at least in NetBSD 3.0, the group of user 'daemon' is also called
> 'daemon', and with the above default, sending mail doesn't seem to work:
>
> 	% ls -l /usr/pkg/lib/mailman/mail/mailman
> 	-rwxrwxr-x  1 root  mailman  22322 May 10 00:45
> 	/usr/pkg/lib/mailman/mail/mailman
> 	% /usr/pkg/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post test2
> 	Group mismatch error.  Mailman expected the mail
> 	wrapper script to be executed as group "guest", but
> 	the system's mail server executed the mail script as
> 	group "users".  Try tweaking the mail server to run the
> 	script as group "guest", or re-run configure,
> 	providing the command line option `--with-mail-gid=users'.
>
> I have tried making the above .../mailman binary setgid 'guest' and
> 'daemon', but that doesn't change anything either. FWIW, the group that
> sendmail (from stock NetBSD 3.0) is running here is 'smmsp', BTW:
>
> 	# ps -O uid,euid,gid,egid -auxwww | grep sendmail
> 	 7917    0    0   17   17 ?     Ss    0:01.18 sendmai root     7917
> 	 0.0  1.0  1192  2236 ?     Ss   11:01PM  0:01.18 sendmail:
> 	 accepting connections
> 	# grep :17: /etc/group
> 	smmsp:*:17:
>
> Making the 'mailman' binary setgid 'smmsp' didn't work, either.
>
> Rebuilding mailman with MAILMAN_MAILGROUP=smmsp didn't work,
> but setting MAILMAN_MAILGROUP=daemon did the job.
>
> Is there a good reason not to change this from 'guest' to 'daemon'?

Hi,
I've no idea why it's set to guest, I can't remember. Maybe it's because
of the sendmail in 1.6.x ?
I've set MAILMAN_MAILGROUP= 1 in my /etc/mk.conf and forgot about it.
I can't tell if it was there before the upgrade of this server to 3.0.

I don't have any problems with it being changed to daemon.
I'm not sure it will work with postfix, though ...

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>