Subject: mail/mutt-devel header cache...
To: None <pkgsrc-users@netbsd.org>
From: George Georgalis <george@galis.org>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 05/22/2006 19:13:30
For those of you unfamiliar with the mutt header_cache option, it
uses a db to store index info of maildir/imap folders. When your
index is current you can open a 10,000 message mailbox in under a
second, for example.

The feature is in the mutt stable doc, but only available in the
devel package.

Almost. It works fine in NetBSD, but in linux I get unknown
configuration errors at startup.

Error in /home/geo/.muttrc.local, line 10: maildir_cache: unknown variable

The install command I use:

 cd /usr/pkgsrc/mail/mutt-devel && make PKG_OPTIONS.mutt=mutt-hcache install

relevant doc and a link are below.  I've used a hand compiled
version in linux for years, any idea what's broken in the package
for Linux?

// George

http://wwwcip.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/~sithglan/mutt/

# set header_cache=""
#
# Name: header_cache
# Type: path
# Default: ""
#
#
# The header_cache variable points to the header cache database.
# If header_cache points to a directory it will contain a header cache
# database  per folder. If header_cache points to a file that file will
# be a single global header cache. By default it is unset so no header
# caching will be used.
#
#
# set maildir_header_cache_verify=yes
#
# Name: maildir_header_cache_verify
# Type: boolean
# Default: yes
#
#
# Check for Maildir unaware programs other than mutt having modified maildir
# files when the header cache is in use.  This incurs one stat(2) per
# message every time the folder is opened.
#
#
# set header_cache_pagesize="16384"
#
# Name: header_cache_pagesize
# Type: string
# Default: "16384"
#
#
# Change the header cache database page size.  Too large or too small
# values can waste space, memory, or CPU time. The default should be more
# or less the best you can get. For details, google for mutt header
# cache (first hit).

http://galis.org/ cell:646-331-2027 mailto:george@galis.org