Subject: Re: License-restricted NetBSD/i386 JDK 1.5.0 now available (tarball
To: None <pkgsrc-users@netbsd.org>
From: Timo Schoeler <timo.schoeler@riscworks.net>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 05/15/2006 19:57:45
thus Todd Vierling spake:
> I have made JDK 1.5.0 available in binary form under the Sun Community
> Source License binary redistribution terms.  This means that the
> builds are not suitable for commercial use, though they should be
> covered by the Research Use sublicense terms.
>
> Tarballs are available via:
>
>    http://www.duh.org/NetBSD/java2/
>
> and I am adding the following packages to pkgsrc shortly:
>
>    lang/scsl-jdk15
>    lang/scsl-jre15

i tried getting HSQL running today (on i386/2.1-stable). it seems to run
fine, but now and then a client which connects to the DBMS and hands
over some work (table select or whatever), it gets stuck. after a minute
or so the server answers. in the meanwhile the machine runs like a
charm. i used sun-jre15/sun-jdk15 for this.

any hints very appreciated as well as general reports on running java on
NetBSD.

(the guy installing an art gallery manegement system, which uses HSQL on
the i386 machine, said that it's up to the java implementation of NetBSD
that it runs crappy. don't believe him as i have a tomcat installation
running quite happily...)

> to provide pkgsrc-aware versions of this JDK build.  Currently I only
> have builds against NetBSD/i386 2.0+, but I plan on adding more builds
> (including 1.3.1 for NetBSD 1.6, the last release runnable on that
> NetBSD version).
>
> If someone out there has a speedy SPARC running NetBSD 2.x or 3.x and
> would like to help out, I need a build environment to make
> NetBSD/sparc JDK builds.  (Other platforms are not yet complete in the
> BSD JDK patchsets, so I'm afraid those will have to wait for a while.)

sparc64?

--
Timo Schoeler | http://riscworks.net/~tis | timo.schoeler@riscworks.net
RISCworks -- Perfection is a powerful message

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary
and those who don't.