Subject: Automatic packages maintenance
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Asmodehn <asmodehn@free.fr>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 05/13/2006 13:06:11
Hi everyone,

I am looking for advises...

I am planning to write some script to automate the maintenance of packages on a machine.
The goal is to have always the latest version of packages installed if possible, otherwise fallback to the last stable version.
I am using pkg_chk, and therefore I have a list of the packages I want to have and maintain on my machine in a pkgchk.conf

Here is what I would like to do in this script :
Using pkgsrc-current :

1- Remove packages that are installed and not in ( or needed by any packages in ) pkgchk.conf (Optional)

2- Add packages that are in the list and not installed ("missing" packages) and update packages that are in the list and need to be updated

3- If some packages fails, and if a stable pkgsrc hierarchy exists on the system, I want to use the last stable branch instead->

Using pkgsrc-stable:

4- For each packages that update has failed before, I want to install from binary if available, otherwise build and install from source.

SO

1- I didnt find any way to do that with pkg_chk... seem like pkg_chk -r will also remove packages which have a mismatched version...
is there a way to do that that I am not aware about ?

2- With pkg_chk -au I add missing packages and update packages installed, but I just want to update the one listed in pkgchk.conf

3- To have pkgsrc and pkgsrc-stable installed and not having any conflict, I guess I have some variable to set around for the packaging tools to know what to do, isnt it ?

4- Which variable do I have to set to build a package everytime I do a make update, or a make install ? will the make install use package if it is available, or do I have to implement the mechanism myself somehow ?

Also I am aware there is few ways to do what I want... Please tell me if you think it will be better to do that in another way.
Has someone already achieve something similar and has a solution he is quite happy with ??

Thanks a lot for your help !

;)

--
Asmodehn