Re: pkg_chk: updating installed packages w/ FTP?

On Sat, 29 Apr 2006, Justin C. Sherrill wrote:
miyu% pkg_chk -P ftp://ftp.de.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/3.0/i386 -abg
        Failed to open file.

For reasons unclear to me, pkg_chk wants to have a Makefile in the current
directory when it runs these commands.  The Makefile can be empty.  'touch
Makefile' and then run the commands, and see if it works.

No go.

I've tried an 'empty' Makefile in /tmp, and I've also tried it in a (populated) /usr/pkgsrc, and I always get an error (which may be different to the above one as I've upgraded to pkg_chk-1.69.1 recently):

        miyu% cd /tmp/
        miyu% touch Makefile
        miyu% pkg_chk -P ftp://ftp.de.NetBSD.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/3.0/All -C
/root/pkgchk.conf -v -abf
        Extract AWK GREP SED TSORT SORT PACKAGES PKG_INFO PKG_ADD PKG_DELETE
        PKGCHK_CONF PKGCHK_UPDATE_CONF PKGCHK_TAGS PKGCHK_NOTAGS from Makefile
===> Failed to change directory.
        miyu% cd /usr/pkgsrc/
        miyu% pkg_chk -P ftp://ftp.de.NetBSD.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/3.0/All -C
/root/pkgchk.conf -v -abf
        Extract AWK GREP SED TSORT SORT PACKAGES PKG_INFO PKG_ADD PKG_DELETE
        PKGCHK_CONF PKGCHK_UPDATE_CONF PKGCHK_TAGS PKGCHK_NOTAGS from Makefile
===> Failed to change directory.

It would be nice to have -v do something useful and show _what_ directory change failed...

Is there some file required on the FTP server that's maybe not generated? ISTR some talk about some 'index' file...

The man page doesn't mention -q.  What is it?

pkg_chk-1.69.1's manpage says:

     -q        Do not display actions or take any action; only list informa-
               tion about package version differences.  Useful for options
               that list information about package differences, such as -a or
               -u.

 - Hubert