Re: tools infinite loop

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006, Cliff Wright wrote:

> I was just building devel/patch from a pkgsrc tar of 4/24/06 on a Linux
> BusyBox based system. I ran in to a problem with the tools created in
> work/.tools/bin. For instance the echo program is using a non full path
> echo to send info to the .work.log. The path is set to have work/.tools/bin
> early to pick up the special echo in that directory, but since that tools
> echo also makes use of itself their is an infinite loop. Moving the directory
> in the path variable would not work as we want to use the tools in the tools
> directory. I could modify
> pkgsrc/mk/tools/tools.Linux.mk, but this has not changed for a while,
> so I wonder where else the problem could be?

I also hit that loop on DragonFly this month when I set
TOOLS_PLATFORM.tar=tar (without full path).

As for the "echo", I see that is a problem. And the bogus wrapper is
created. This problem exists on other platforms.

The reason nobody sees it is because their shell provides "echo" builtin.

Tell us about your BusyBox /bin/sh shell. Does it have echo builtin?

Maybe the pkgsrc tools framework should not create a wrapper unless the
tool has a full path.

Do you also have the problem for [, false, test and true?

 Jeremy C. Reed

echo ':6DB6=88>?;@69876tA=AC8BB5tA6487><' | tr '4-F' 'wu rofIn.lkigemca'