Subject: Re: Xorg 6.9.0 problem on amd64 =?utf-8?b?KFhfQ3JlYXRlV2luZG93L0JhZA==?= Value)
To: None <pkgsrc-users@netbsd.org>
From: Blair Sadewitz < <sadewitz@gmail.com>>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 04/26/2006 21:22:41
 <joerg <at> britannica.bec.de> writes:

> On Thu, Apr 20, 2006 at 07:59:15PM -0700, Blair Sadewitz wrote:
> > Someone else has already posted about this problem:
> >
> > http://mail-index.netbsd.org/pkgsrc-users/2006/03/04/0020.html
>
> Just to make this clear:
> (1) The Xserver (Xorg only) starts and gives you the graphic mode
> with mouse cursor etc.
> (2) You cannot start e.g. a xterm when setting DISPLAY on a different
> console, it fails with the BadValue.
>
> Joerg

Yes, this is correct.  I can display the root window, but X dies on any attempt
to create a new window, i.e. run any program that wants to access the display.
And yes, it fails if I try to run the xterm on a different console and set
DISPLAY=:0.

I have posted this to the freedesktop.org bugzilla and the netbsd gnats system
but have received no replies. :(

Matthieu Herrb thinks it may be that CARD32 is not defined properly for the
platform (see my NetBSD PR, which I believe has been forwarded to you).

--Blair

P.S. Xorg 6.8.2 from 2006-01-18 pkgsrc works without a problem.  I would try
building modular Xorg from freedesktop.org CVS but I cannot figure out how to do
so properly. :(