Xorg 6.9.0 problem on amd64 (X_CreateWindow/Bad Value)

Someone else has already posted about this problem:

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/pkgsrc-users/2006/03/04/0020.html

I have the exact same problem on the same arch.  Xorg 6.8.2 works
fine, but I'd rather not use a pkgsrc tree that is so old if I don't
absolutely have to.  My problem is this error, just like him, when I
run xinit/startx:

X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operati
on)
  Major opcode of failed request:  1 (X_CreateWindow)
  Value in failed request:  0x20
  Serial number of failed request:  35

Has anyone here gotten Xorg 6.9.0 to work on amd64?  It seems hard to
believe that noone knows about this problem, but I can't find it
documented anywhere.

Thanks for any help,

--Blair
--
"What is the practical application of a million galaxies?"

--Alan W. Watts