Re: gettext-tools without gettext-libs dependency on Linux

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 joerg%britannica.bec.de@localhost wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 14, 2006 at 12:46:38AM -0700, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> > I don't want to install any libintl or intl.h. I already have this with my
> > GLIBC. (This is on Linux.)
>
> The problem is that the glibc version might not be in sync with gettext,
> just like the NetBSD libintl is not always compatible with
> gettext-tools. f you have a native libintl, you should really, really
> have native gettext-tools as well.

It is a little confusing in my case. I do not have a "native" glibc. In
fact, every single component is installed via pkgsrc and maintained with
pkg_install tools.

> > Building gettext-tools fails when building .libs/msginit with:
> >
> > msginit-msginit.o(.text+0x23d): In function `main':
> > : undefined reference to `_nl_locale_name'
> >
> > This is defined in localename.o and libgnuintl.so.
>
> The patch removes *redundant* linkage. It also avoids a horrible abuse
> of libtool infrastructure, which gave me quite a few head aches on
> various systems.
>
> In short, I'd prefer not to mess with this area, it can break too much.

I do not know of any Linux operating systems that ship or provide any
libintl or intl.h from the gettext suite.

It is normal and expected that Linux systems get this from glibc. (They do
have packages from gettext for the tools or other add-ons though.)

Does anyone know of any Linux that uses gettext to provide libintl or
intl.h?

I have been using glibc to provide this (via pkgsrc-wip packages and some
other custom pkgsrc stuff) for a couple years.

Also there have been a few reports from pkgsrc users on Linux where they
documented how there were conflicts caused by using gettext-provided (and
iconv) libraries with their native glibc. I think there may be some PRs
about this too. I don't know if this still matters since this was before
gettext was updated in pkgsrc.

Maybe we can have some compromise by providing some option for your
gettext packages.

 Jeremy C. Reed

echo '9,J8HD,fDGG8B@?:536FC5=8@I;C5?@H5B0D@5GBIELD54DL>@8L?:5GDEJ8LDG1' |\
sed ss,s50EBsg | tr 0-M 'p.wBt SgiIlxmLhan:o,erDsduv/cyP'