Subject: Re: pkgsrc-stable branch stories?
To: None <pkgsrc-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Takahiro Kambe <taca@back-street.net>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 04/18/2006 00:37:13
Hi,

In message <4443B1B6.4020907@pkgsrc.org>
	on Mon, 17 Apr 2006 11:18:14 -0400,
	Johnny Lam <jlam@pkgsrc.org> wrote:
> I'm curious as to how many people are using the pkgsrc "stable" branches
> (pkgsrc-YYYYQQ).  The pkgsrc developers spend quite a bit of time
> creating and maintaining these branches, and I want to get a feel for
> whether this is time well-spent.
I'm using it for:

- Several servers at the office.
- part (or base) of a software product.

> I personally use the stable branch on production servers.  I find it
> avoids the chaos of keeping up with rapidly changing PKGREVISIONs that
> happen on pkgsrc HEAD at times.  I keep a sandbox handy for rebuilding
> packages when there is a security update on the stable branch, and I
> update all of my software to the newest stable branch every quarter.
I completely agree.

But, I feel that switching every quarter is a little bit quick for the
product, while I need to update some packages on my private
stable-branch before it is pulled up to the official stable branch.

> Is anyone else using the pkgsrc stable branch?  If so, how do you use it?
It is the base of private pkgsrc tree for my office system (and product).

--
Takahiro Kambe <taca@back-street.net>