Subject: Re: pkgsrc-stable branch stories?
To: None <pkgsrc-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Dave Vollenweider <metaridley@mchsi.com>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 04/17/2006 11:23:23
I use the stable branch as my only branch.  I use one machine to build packages and make binary packages, then install those binary packages on the rest of my machines as well as the NetBSD machine at the radio station I work at.  My machines access them via NFS and the machine at the station accesses them via FTP.  I also have a Mac that has access to the stable branch on the machine that has it via NFS, and I use the Mac to build macppc packages and binary packages.

It's nice not to have to deal with (as many) broken packages as in the current branch, all the while being able to compile features in or leave them out as I choose.

From the standpoint of people who don't want to/can't use pkgsrc to build their own packages (people who only have dialup for example and don't have the time or the bandwidth to download source code), the stable branches and the bulk builds of binary packages being made from them mean that they don't have to wait until the next version of NetBSD comes out to get up-to-date third-party software, and it means that binary packages are available for platforms other than the i386 and possibly for other operating systems as well.  This alone justifies the existence of the stable branch IMO, and it means that pkgsrc in general is more stable than other software packaging systems.

- Dave V.