Subject: gettext-tools without gettext-libs dependency on Linux
To: None <pkgsrc-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 04/14/2006 00:46:38
I don't want to install any libintl or intl.h. I already have this with my
GLIBC. (This is on Linux.)

I commented out the USE_BUILTIN.gettext=no and I am using
PREFER_NATIVE+=gettext iconv

Building gettext-tools fails when building .libs/msginit with:

msginit-msginit.o(.text+0x23d): In function `main':
: undefined reference to `_nl_locale_name'

This is defined in localename.o and libgnuintl.so.

So I tracked this down to pkgsrc/devel/gettext-tools/patch-ah
and I removed it. And it built fine.

The changes in my installed files are:

+lib/gettext/hostname
+lib/gettext/project-id
+lib/gettext/urlget
+lib/gettext/user-email
+share/gettext/msgunfmt.tcl

I see those are from devel/gettext too. Ignore the above five additions
that is from the part of patch-ah I should have kept.

Anyways, any thoughts on allowing the following?

msginit_DEPENDENCIES =  \
       ../intl/localename.@INTL_LIBTOOL_SUFFIX_PREFIX@o

I have not tried on other systems yet.

 Jeremy C. Reed

echo '9,J8HD,fDGG8B@?:536FC5=8@I;C5?@H5B0D@5GBIELD54DL>@8L?:5GDEJ8LDG1' |\
sed ss,s50EBsg | tr 0-M 'p.wBt SgiIlxmLhan:o,erDsduv/cyP'