Re: x11/gdm strange behavior on NetBSD/i386 and MacOS X

jdbaker%mylinuxisp.com@localhost wrote:

> Some poking around ultimately showed that, although properly configured, gdm
> was not listening on IPv4 port 177, but only on IPv6 port 177.  Looking back
> in the build-time options, The supported options are "inet6 pam" and inet6
> was selected by default.  When I built it with PKG_OPTIONS.gdm=-inet6, IPv4
> operation was restored.

> Has anyone else seen anything like this with gdm and NetBSD/i386?

gdm probably creates only an IPv6 socket assuming it would handle
both IPv4 and IPv6 connections. On NetBSD this is not true by default,
you have to use sysctl to enable this:

# sysctl -w net.inet6.ip6.v6only=0

You can add this to /etc/sysctl.conf.

[By the way, HTML mail sucks.]