Subject: Re: dptutil help
To: David B. <incomex@hotmail.com>
From: Johnny Lam <jlam@pkgsrc.org>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 03/28/2006 09:31:57
David B. wrote:

> I have downloaded pkgsrc, and bootstrapped it onto my box.  I went to
> /sysutils/dputil and did a bmake - which I'm supposed to use instead of
> make when using a non-netbsd kernel.  It went through a lot of stuff and
> started listing off a bunch of file names apparently included.  It got
> to unreslvd.c (which seemed to be completed correctly) and then threw:
>
> make: exec(makedepend) failed (no such file or directory) error code 1

This tells you that the "makedepend" utility, which is normally
installed as part of an X11 distribution, is missing from your system,
but is needed during the build.  I've fixed the package to note the
requirement, so if you don't have it on your system, then pkgsrc will
install the XFree86-imake package to satisfy this build requirement.

> I can't tell what file or directory it was looking for because I can't
> tell what file it got that list of file names out of.  My understanding
> is that this is a userland app with no dependent files.  It should be
> all-inclusive with everything there needed to compile, so I'm suspecting
> that it's a default directory problem and can't find a file.
>
> any ideas on what I can do to get this to compile?

Please just update your pkgsrc checkout and try building it again.  If
you find that dptutil definitely works on your OpenBSD-3.8/sparc64
system, please let us know so that we can update the the list of
platforms for which this utility can work.

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@pkgsrc.org>