Re: Removing pkgviews?

Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
On Fri, 24 Mar 2006, Johnny C. Lam wrote:

I hope this is not *too* controversial, but I am thinking of removing the
existing pkgviews implementation in pkgsrc after the 2006Q1 branch.  The
existing code is complicating development of some new infrastructure
components that I'm pursuing.  I'd like to get a sense of the number of users
that this might impact.

I was planning to start implementing it on some of my Linux systems, but I have not used it actively in over a year.

Tells us about your new infrastructure -- will it provide the pkgviews/depot-style installation?

I'm pursuing some projects currently that are *not* pkgviews-related, but which would be simplified without having to handle it. I'm working on simplifying pkgsrc internals so that it's easier to add new functionality in the future. One of those future bits is allowing packages to install into multiple LOCALBASEs. This would allow installing multiple versions of a package, which I think is the main feature of pkgviews that draws people to it. However, I don't want to get drawn into a discussion about this on this forum. At this point, I'm just wondering how many users it would impact if I removed pkgviews from pkgsrc.

        Cheers,

        -- Johnny Lam <jlam%pkgsrc.org@localhost>