Re: bug reports

Aleksey Cheusov wrote:
>  > On Sat, 18 Mar 2006, Aleksey Cheusov wrote:
>
>  >> What is the best way to report a bug for a particular package?
>  >> Should I use send-pr for this or something else?

>  > You can send an email to the MAINTAINER and/or also to this
>  > mailing list.
> Have pkgsrc team a plan to track reports to each individual package
> just like Debian (and others) does?

In my opinion, the pkgsrc maintainer of any package (or send-pr) is
only useful if it's actually a pkgsrc issue, for example, some build
failure or pkgsrc-specific configuration issues. If you already
have a patch, it might be helpful to inform the pkgsrc maintainer
as well.

If you're talking about bugs in general and especially feature
requests, these should be reported to the original software
developers. Sometimes the software itself is hardly maintained
anymore, then it's better fixed in pkgsrc too. However, don't assume
that a package maintainer will ever forward bug reports or patches to
original developers. As far I know, Debian does not forward any bug
reports even if they cannot fix them but I've also seen patches in
pkgsrc that haven't been forwarded to the developers. That's bad for
both parties, the package maintainers and the developers because it
usually causes duplicate or futile effort.

>  > You use send-pr if you would like us to keep track of it. But
>  > sometimes send-pr is not needed.
> Should I set category to 'pkg'?

Yes, pkg is the correct category for the NetBSD version of send-pr.
I guess, users on other systems have to use the web interface(?).

--
Christian