apache1.3 core dumps with mod_perl

All,

I have an issue with apache1.3 and mod_perl.

I just did a clean install of NetBSD 3.0 and installed pkgsrc-current
(though I do not feel the issue is limited to pkgsrc-current).

I cd'd into /usr/pkgsrc/www/ap-perl and did "make install" on the clean
system. As a result, the following pkgsrc pkgs were installed:

digest-20060302     Message digest wrapper utility
libtool-base-1.5.22nb2 Generic shared library support script (the script
itself)
libmm-1.4.0         Portable abstraction layer for shared memory
gmake-3.80nb5       GNU version of 'make' utility
expat-2.0.0nb1      XML parser library written in C
perl-5.8.7nb8       Practical Extraction and Report Language
apache-1.3.34nb6    Apache HTTP (Web) server
p5-BSD-Resource-1.24nb2 Perl interface to BSD process resources library
ap-perl-1.29nb5     Module that embeds a Perl interpreter into Apache

Starting Apache with the default config works fine. Adding the appropriate
"LoadModule perl_module lib/httpd/mod_perl.so" line for the mod_perl
module in httpd.conf causes the following error to occur when starting
apache:

[1]   Abort trap (core dumped) ${HTTPD}
/usr/pkg/sbin/apachectl start: httpd could not be started

I have added nothing to /etc/mk.conf, but noticed that Perl is built with
"threads" - could this be related?

Hope you can help me out

Phil.