Subject: Xorg 6.9.0 problems
To: None <pkgsrc-users@netbsd.org>
From: Martijn van Buul <martijnb@atlas.ipv6.stack.nl>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 03/04/2006 22:03:30
Hiya.

Considering that x11/xorg-server once again builds for amd64, I wanted to
finally make the switch. I nuked /usr/X11R6, removed all packages which
relate to X11, and installed meta-pkgs/xorg. So far, so good, but I haven't
been able to actually *use* it...

First of all, xorgcfg isn't working. It starts up an X server, but that's
about it. The expected configuration program isn't there. If I install the
generated xorg.conf.new into /etc/X11 (and modify it to suit my needs), I can
start an X server - but once again, that's about it. Trying to start [xkg]dm
all result in [xkg]dm starting an Xserver, and bailing out with similiar
errors:

X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  1 (X_CreateWindow)
  Value in failed request:  0x20
  Serial number of failed request:  35

If I start an Xserver using startx, I get similiar errors:

[...]

(WW) RADEON: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:1:0:1) found
/usr/pkg/xorg/bin/twm:  another window manager is already running. on screen 0?
/usr/pkg/xorg/bin/twm:  unable to find any unmanaged video screens.
X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  1 (X_CreateWindow)
  Value in failed request:  0x20
  Serial number of failed request:  35
X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  1 (X_CreateWindow)
  Value in failed request:  0x20
  Serial number of failed request:  35
waiting for X server to shut down FreeFontPath: FPE "/usr/pkg/xorg/lib/X11/fonts/misc/" refcount is 2, should be 1; fixing.

However, there *is* no other window manager running. Using different window
managers didn't quite help - they all claim another windowmanager is already
running, and bail out.

I obviously must've done something wrong, but I'm a bit at a loss. I've been
switching back and forth from xorg to XFree86 on various occasions; I thought
I knew most of the pitfalls, but apperently not.

Kind regards,

Martijn