Re: [pkgbuild%amd64-nb4.netbsd.org@localhost: pkgsrc-2011Q3 NetBSD 4.0.1/x86_64 2011-10-03 14:16]

On Tue, Oct 04, 2011 at 10:15:03PM +0200, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:

 > > > The tools from the base system of NetBSD 4.0 are completely
 > > > outdated and unsupported for a reason.
 > >
 > > So how do you install a binary package on a NetBSD 4 host ?
 >
 > Install pkg_install first and use the pkg_add from that. At least that's
 > your best bet.

The last time asau was ranting about builtin pkg_install, he said that
you have to install every successive version after the one you have,
because that's all the compat support there is. This, if true, seems
horribly broken.

However, the first thing someone installing 4.0 should do is update to
at least 4.0.1_PATCH if not 4.0_STABLE, both of which have newer
package tools. So maybe it doesn't actually matter...

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost