Subject: Re: pkgsrc IRIX 6.5/mipseb bulk build results 20070104.2331
To: None <pkgsrc-bulk@netbsd.org>
From: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netmeister.org>
List: pkgsrc-bulk
Date: 01/27/2007 13:57:07
--mR8QP4gmHujQHb1c

Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netmeister.org> wrote:
=20
> Package                    Breaks  Maintainer
> - --------------------------------------------------------------
> textproc/xmlcatmgr         1260    jmmv@NetBSD.org
> fonts/fontconfig           988     pkgsrc-users@NetBSD.org
> x11/Xrender                977     pkgsrc-users@NetBSD.org
> graphics/jasper            779     adam@NetBSD.org
> shells/bash                762     wiz@NetBSD.org
> fonts/ghostscript-fonts    699     pkgsrc-users@NetBSD.org
> graphics/glitz             510     adam@NetBSD.org
> graphics/lcms              481     gdt@NetBSD.org
> security/libgpg-error      459     minskim@NetBSD.org
> graphics/xpm               454     pkgsrc-users@NetBSD.org

Most of these failed b/c I ran out of disk space.  I'll rerun the bulk
build after I've cleaned up a lot of space.

This one, however, is strange:

> shells/bash                762     wiz@NetBSD.org

It fails during install b/c /usr/pkg/bin/nbsed coredumps.
The command causing this is basically invoking

/usr/pkg/bin/nbsed -e 's|bashref.info|bash.info|g' <bashref.info

Trying to track down where the problem comes from, I notice the
following:

$ tail -384 bashref.info | \
  /usr/pkg/bin/nbsed -e 's|bashref.info|bash.info|g' > /dev/null
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
$ tail -383  bashref.info | \
  /usr/pkg/bin/nbsed -e 's|bashref.info|bash.info|g' > /dev/null
$=20

So it seems as if line # N-384 triggers the problem.  However, running

$ tail -384 bashref.info | head -1 | \
  /usr/pkg/bin/nbsed -e 's|bashref.info|bash.info|g' > /dev/null
$=20

succeeds.

Line N-384 looks like this:

^H[index^H]

(Where ^H is actually Ctrl+H.)

There are other lines in the input file that are identical, and nbsed
doesn't dump core on them.

$ tail -384 bashref.info | head -102 | \
  /usr/pkg/bin/nbsed -e 's|bashref.info|bash.info|g' > /dev/null
$=20

$ tail -384 bashref.info | head -103 | \
  /usr/pkg/bin/nbsed -e 's|bashref.info|bash.info|g' > /dev/null
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
$=20

Poking around further, I manage to create two files, one that work, one
that causes the segfault.  diff(1) thinks they're binary, and that
they're different.  When looking at them via vi(1), it tells me that one
file contains 4 NULL characters.  Huh.

nbsed built on NetBSD does not fail on this input.  I tried building
nbsed with gcc and mipspro, and both fail.  I'm now trying to bootstrap
a 32bit binary and see if that helps.

-Jan

--=20
If you can read this, you're not the president.

--mR8QP4gmHujQHb1c

--mR8QP4gmHujQHb1c--