Subject: Re: pkgsrc NetBSD 2.0_RC5/i386 bulk build results 2004-11-30
To: Thomas Klausner <wiz@NetBSD.org>
From: Krister Walfridsson <cato@df.lth.se>
List: pkgsrc-bulk
Date: 12/03/2004 18:27:49
On Fri, 3 Dec 2004, Thomas Klausner wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 09:42:07PM +0100, Krister Walfridsson wrote:
>> One thing that would be nice would be if the bulk build could
>> check that the packages did not install any files in "forbidden"
>> locations, and mark the packages as broken if they did...
>
> It already does, if you use sandboxes, by mounting some directories
> read-only. What "forbidden" locations are you thinking of?
> Are you using sandboxes?

I'm using sandboxes, but all directories are not mounted read-only.
For example /etc is created read/write, but packages should in
general not install files there.

This particular failure we are talking about is that some packages
creates /etc/rc.d/init.d and install files in it (of course without
having them in PLISTs etc.) and later packages are being confused
when they find we have a /etc/rc.d/init.d.  So /etc/rc.d/init.d is
a good example on such an "forbidden" location.

Actually, there are not many files in /etc that a package should need
to change/add, so packages that changes anything in /etc (with a few
exceptions) should IMHO be marked as broken by the bulk build.

    /Krister