Subject: Re: pkgsrc NetBSD 2.0_RC1/i386 bulk build results 2004-10-31
To: Krister Walfridsson <cato@df.lth.se>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
List: pkgsrc-bulk
Date: 11/03/2004 12:57:39
On Tue, 2 Nov 2004, Krister Walfridsson wrote:

> > So the problem is that "make show-depends-dirs" does not DTRT
> > for devel/libgail-gnome.  I have no clue why...
>
> So I have looked some more.
>
> The problem is that the dependencies from buildlink3.mk files that
> are included from other buildlink3.mk files are not added to the
> list returned from "make show-depends-dirs".  Is this a bug or
> a feature?

I believe it's supposed to be a feature, because second-level bl3s are not
considered to be "direct" dependencies.  Such dependencies do not appear in
DEPENDS, and thus aren't in show-depends-dirs.

(If a package needs the features of the second-level dependency "directly",
it must also directly include its bl3 file rather than relying on indirect
inclusion.  This is part of the multi-level dependency problems I've
outlined a few times in the recent past.)

I think what the bulk build may actually want is "show-all-depends-dirs",
which will recurse looking for all levels of dependencies.  But why this
problem only breaks libgail-gnome, I don't really understand.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com>