Subject: Re: hardidsk 2 not detected with netbsd-4 on shuttle ss51g
To: Gilbert Fernandes <gilbert.fernandes@orange.fr>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/25/2007 19:21:33
On Sun, Dec 23, 2007 at 09:39:39PM +0100, Gilbert Fernandes wrote:

> I have another problem using netbsd-4 on the shuttle ss51g
>
> Machine has 2 IDE controllers :
>
> IDE0 -> 300 Gb Maxtor disk (wd0)
> IDE1 -> Master=Plextor CDRW drive (sd0)
>         Slave=Maxtor 300 Gb
>
> When using NetBSD, wd0 is seen but not wd1
>
> I have booted on an OpenBSD 4.0 CD I got around and wd0 and wd1
> are detected.
>
> The NetBSD is using a GENERIC.NOACPI kernel with no change from me
> inside.
>
> Has anyone drives not reporting under NetBSD 4 ?
>
> Both driver were detected on previous versions of NetBSD.
>
> Since I dont need the Plextor I am going to remove it and install
> the wd1 drive as master on IDE1 hoping this will make it appear
> but this is wrong.

Not completely. Having an ATA slave with an ATAPI master is explicitely
"undefined behavior" in the specs.
What could have made it not work from previous versions of NetBSD is
changes to the probe to speed up in case of nonexistent drives, or fix
probe issues in other configurations. As this kind of config is explicitely
unsupported by the ATA specifications, I'm not supporting changing the
code to make it work again (with the risk of breaking other, ATA-supported
configurations).

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>