Subject: Re: Unable to boot "install-CD" of 4.0 "final"
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Zbigniew Baniewski <zb@ispid.com.pl>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/23/2007 12:58:52
On Sat, Dec 22, 2007 at 06:01:11PM +0100, Jean-Yves Migeon wrote:

> Give that a try (do not know if it will work for you though):
>
> - start with install-cd
> - during boot up phase, press any key to get boot prompt
> - invoke userconf ( # boot -c )
> - wait for userconf prompt to come, and try to "disable ehci", "disable
> uhci", "disable ohci" alternatively
> - proceed boot further ( # exit)

Although I'm still unable to install system, it was helpful to clear, what's
going on:

So, it seems, in my case (this time) it isn't USB-related problem, as it was
in case of jihbed live-CD. I've disabled all three USB interfaces, but the
system was still "freezing" the booting stage at the HDD recognition. Then
I made another attempt: before new booting, I just unplugged HDD cable from
controller card - and voila: there are installation screen. My suspicion was
that it was USB, because of earlier problems (when unplugging mouse allowed
to complete booting), and because of the fact, that USB-devices messages are
printed AFTER the harddisk-related messages.

I'm using Silicon Image 3112A adaptor with WD 40 GB harddisk. Perhaps
someone could tell me, what's wrong? The disk works without any problems
under FreeDOS and Linux. Is SiI3112 driver in NetBSD broken?
--
				pozdrawiam / regards

						Zbigniew Baniewski