Subject: Re: using FreeBSD-drives under NetBSD
To: Christian Baer <christian.baer@uni-dortmund.de>
From: Chavdar Ivanov <ci4ic4@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/16/2007 12:04:31
On 16/12/2007, Christian Baer <christian.baer@uni-dortmund.de> wrote:
> Good morning, people!
>
> The question I am about to ask is really somewhat dumb and as far as I can
> tell, what I want to do should work just fine. Just want to be sure about
> this.
>
> What I want to do is to move data from a FreeBSD box to a NetBSD one. The
> idea I had was to take a hard drive from the FreeBSD box and put it into
> the NetBSD box. The drive is formatted with FFS under FreeBSD (should be
> FFS2), no encryption or anything fancy, I even used a "real" partition
> table (not one of these "dangerously dedicated" drives).
>
> Can I mount the FreeBSD partition with NetBSD and just copy the data to
> the another drive?

I did this some times ago - external 250 GB USB disk was formatted
under FreeBSD 6.0 ; I was able to mount it without any problems under
NetBSD (i386 -current whatever version was at the time).

The funny thing was that I was not able to mount the disk back on
FreeBSD the labels appeared lost when I brought it back; still, the
NetBSD system was able to read the disklabel. I may have ran
'mbrlabel' on that disk whilst under NetBSD and this had somehow made
it unpalatable on FreeBSD (this is still 6.0), I don't know.

> Regards
> Chris

/dev/random says:
	I'm busier than a one-eyed cat watching two mouseholes.
Chavdar Ivanov   | Talbot Way, Small Heath Business Park
Delcam UK        | Birmingham B10 0HJ, United Kingdom
Customer Support | (+44)121-6831014