Subject: RE: Request For Comments!! POSIX atomic mv
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: De Zeurkous <zeurkous@nichten.info>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/13/2007 22:52:05
Haai,

On Thu, December 13, 2007 22:26, George Georgalis wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 13, 2007 at 07:41:57AM -0500, Izaac wrote:
>[snip]
>
> I think I got it, but where is the content of /. stored?

If you mean the root directory (/), it's stored in an inode with itself as
a parent. Try cd'ing to '/..' and seeing what happens. The '.' entry in /
is simply a hard link to the same inode as /.

If you mean the '.' entry in any directory, it's about the same: another
hard link to the directory inode, like the one listed in it's parent
directory (technically, for any inode multiple parent directories are
allowed, but for some reason UNIX FS code maintainers don't like it with
directories). An inode without a parent is considered deleted, but remains
unreclaimed by the FS code until all fd's referring to it are closed.

> (no that's not a joke)

I didn't interpet it as such. It's a bit of a hard matter to explain using
words. As is the case with many other concepts, understanding it requires
a somewhat vivid imagination (however, a weird sense of humor is optional
on this one :^).

Baai,

De Zeurkous

Friggin' Machines!