Subject: Re: Request For Comments!! POSIX atomic mv
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: George Georgalis <george@galis.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/13/2007 17:26:55
On Thu, Dec 13, 2007 at 07:41:57AM -0500, Izaac wrote:
>On Thu, Dec 13, 2007 at 12:18:42AM -0500, George Georgalis wrote:
>>So ./. is what is IN the directory. The name of the directory is
>>an entry of ./.. when ./. is moved it doesn't change, only ./..
>>changes.
>
>You will be in a much more fruitful frame of mind if you stop
>thinking in terms of relative references and start thinking in terms
>of inodes.

Thanks, you are right, I was only thinking of empirical user space!

So the ./. ino points to data for the directory content. The name
of a given directory is recorded in the data pointed to by the
./.. ino. When a directory ino is renamed, the ino itself doesn't
change but the former ./.. ino and new ./.. ino are updated to
reflect revised directory data.

I think I got it, but where is the content of /. stored?
(no that's not a joke)

// George

--
George Georgalis, information system scientist <IXOYE><