Subject: Re: NetBSD 4.0_RC5 : can't ypbind to NIS server ?
To: Hauke Fath <hf@spg.tu-darmstadt.de>
From: Gilbert Fernandes <fernandes@math.univ-paris13.fr>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/13/2007 12:55:48
Hauke Fath wrote:

> I have just tried binding a netbsd-3 client to a Debian 3.1 server -
> worked flawless, even via a pf equipped router. So I'd say there is no
> general YP interoperability issue between NetBSD clients and Linux OSes.

We dont know why it doesnt work. A few days ago the machine was using
openbsd and it was fine. Moved it to netbsd because of openbsd's freezes
because of the dvd drive and can't bind to nis.

I gave up. Would have been nice to be able to use nis to avoid moving
documents when I log from place to place but it's not that important.

I've lost several hours configuring again and again from doc,
tcpdumping all around for nothing.

> Either the redhat YP server has insufficient logging capabilities (or
> settings), or it never gets the client's request, because...

tcpdump on my box shows the request goes out.
tcpdump on the server shows the request goes in.

ip are ditributed using dhcp and all machine do have nis access
as soon they have a local ip.

Doesn't matter. Doesn't work and I dont have the time to keep looking
all day why.

Thanks for everyone's help.