Subject: Re: controlling azalia0, the naughty child sound board. [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]
To: Paul (NCC/CS.) <pts@bom.gov.au>
From: Jan Kryl <loo@bazmek.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/12/2007 09:28:17
On 12/12/07 15:39 +1100, Paul (NCC/CS.) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On my old netbsd machine xmmix displayed 2 line inputs, CD, PCM,
> spkr,  master and mike.  7 controls.
>
> On my newish netbsd machine xmmix displays CD spkr master only. 3.
>

> man xmmix says:
>
> Xmmix queries the capabilities of the sound board during start-up,
> and will  only display controls corresponding to features that are
> actually implemented in the hardware.
>

> So the trouble seems to be that the sound board doesn't offer up
> much for me to control. This is causing alot of trouble. The on
> the motherboard sound chip is :
>
> azalia0 at pci0 dev 27 function 0: Generic High Definition Audio
> Controller
>

> I can get xmms to play an mp3 on the headphones but :
>
> - I can't get to hear the CD.
> - I can't control or turn off the speaker. ( so I ripped it out.)
> - the sound I do get seems to be very low in volume. I'm sure
> it's just not quite right.
>
> Does anyone know how to control azalia0 ?

I'm not sure if it is relevant to your problem, but I had similar
problem 1 month ago, when I was trying to play 5.1 channel sound on my
netbsd-current desktop. None of the audio mixers that I have tried,
offerred me a way how to control what goes in which output jack. Finally
I managed to get it working with help of mixerctl(1). So I recommend to
use that tool, eventhough it's quite lowlevel and "user-unfriendly".

The biggest pain is to figer out meaning of control knobs in mixerctl
(the specification of your particular azalia chip will help you). Once
you know this, it should be quite easy to send the sound signal to the
right output jack and control its volume.

Good luck!
Jan