Subject: controlling azalia0, the naughty child sound board.
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Paul (NCC/CS.) <pts@bom.gov.au>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/12/2007 15:39:08
Hi,

On my old netbsd machine xmmix displayed 2 line inputs, CD, PCM,
spkr,  master and mike.  7 controls.

On my newish netbsd machine xmmix displays CD spkr master only. 3.

man xmmix says:

Xmmix queries the capabilities of the sound board during start-up,
and will  only display controls corresponding to features that are
actually implemented in the hardware.

So the trouble seems to be that the sound board doesn't offer up
much for me to control. This is causing alot of trouble. The on
the motherboard sound chip is :

azalia0 at pci0 dev 27 function 0: Generic High Definition Audio
Controller

I can get xmms to play an mp3 on the headphones but :

- I can't get to hear the CD.
- I can't control or turn off the speaker. ( so I ripped it out.)
- the sound I do get seems to be very low in volume. I'm sure
it's just not quite right.

Does anyone know how to control azalia0 ?

or have experience with this rather wretched sound chip?

can point me at any useful reading on this ?

many thanks :),
Paul.

Paul
Australian Bureau Of Meteorology