Subject: USB Boot Device
To: netbsd-users@NetBSD. org <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Selvan <selvany@cat.co.za>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/28/2007 16:57:03
Hi all,

I have a problem which is quite strange.
My PC is setup to boot off a USB device.
If I prepare the USB key on a NetBSD 2 unit, then my PC will boot up
with the bootable USB key.
If  I prepare the USB key on a NetBSD 3 or NetBSD 4 unit, then the PC
goes through the normal BIOS checks at startup and at the stage where
you expect it to start booting off the USB key, it just hangs with a
flashing cursor on the top-left of the screen.

What I've done thus far in attempting to trouble-shoot is, run the dd
command as well as the fdisk command on the NetBSD2 unit and thereafter
I run the disklabel, newfs and installboot on the NetBSD3 unit or the
NetBSD 4 unit.
If  I do it this way, then the PC will boot off the USB key.

I therefore suspect that there may be some difference in the way fdisk
is run on the NetBSD2 environment as opposed to NetBSD3 and NetBSD4.

The PC motherboard is an Intel DG33FB.

Regards,

Selvan Naidoo