Subject: Re: Software for off-site backups
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.org.uk>
From: David Brownlee <abs@NetBSD.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/18/2007 00:30:49
On Sat, 17 Nov 2007, Matthias Scheler wrote:

> I'm looking for a software for NetBSD to create off-site backups of my
> server at home. Because the upstream bandwidth of my A-DSL line isn't
> that high I'm searching for something which supports deltas and
> compression like "rsync" does.
>
> Why am I not using "rsync"? I want to keep multiple copies on the
> target system (also NetBSD) without wasting too much diskspace.
> It would also be nice to be able to preserve the ownership of a
> directory or file without having to use "root" on the remote machine.
>
> I've considered a script which does something like this:
> 1.) Clone existing backup into a new directory by creating identical
>    directories and hardlinks to the existing files.
> 2.) Use "rsync" to update that.
>
> But I'm wondering whether somebody else has already done that. And
> it would of course not preserve the ownerships.

 	In a word ... "dirvish".

 	In some more words - pkgsrc/sysutils/rsnapshot and
 	pkgsrc/sysutils/dirvish both do exactly that. I started
 	using rsnapshot but switched to dirvish for better
 	configurability and easy of expiring (I expire daily
 	snapshots after seven days, except for sundays which stay
 	for a couple of months, and the first of the month which
 	stays forver)

 	I originally started with pkgsrc/sysutils/rdiff-backup,
 	which has very clever gzipped incremental diff storage...
 	but after it ate its very clever gzipped incremental diff
 	storage a couple of times I decided I preferred to be able
 	to restore my backups...