Subject: Re: Software for off-site backups
To: Geert Hendrickx <ghen@telenet.be>
From: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.org.uk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/17/2007 16:29:34
On Sat, Nov 17, 2007 at 03:59:42PM +0100, Geert Hendrickx wrote:
> Have you considered dump/restore?

I use "dump" and "restore" for local backups for years but I don't think
they are a good match in this case.

> It's very easy to do incremental backups (that only archive what has
> changed since the last backup of a lower level) and send that
> compressed over an ssh-link for example.

1.) That will still be considerably more data than e.g. using "rsync".
    One of the largest file in home directory is my archive e-mail folder.
    It grows and the end and making a backup with "rsync" works fine.
    Even an incremental "dump" would have backup the whole file.

2.) Incremental backups are hard to restore and don't track file deletions.

	Kind regards