Subject: Re: Unicode text editor
To: Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@softjar.se>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/16/2007 12:08:20
Alistair Crooks skrev:
> On 15/11/2007, Masao Uebayashi <uebayasi@gmail.com> wrote:
>> BTW - some of your code (lib/librefuse for example) have non-ASCII
>> characters.  I think it's against NetBSD code convention. :)
>
> There is one character (the "Copyright symbol") in the leading comment
> block, which could be considered to be "non-ASCII" i.e. not in the
> range 0 to 127.
>
> For the reason why I do that, please take a look at the wikipedia entry:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright
>
> specifically the last sentence of the part about the copyright symbol,
> (which unfortunately needs a citation):
>
> "Prior to 1989, use of a copyright notice — consisting of the letter C
> inside of a circle (that is, "(c)"), the abbreviation "Copr.", or the
> word "Copyright", followed by the year of the first publication of the
> work and the name of the copyright holder — was part of United States
> statutory requirements.[1][2] Several years may be noted in the case
> of multiple completion dates - e.g., in the case of ongoing editing.
> The letter C inside of parentheses ("(c)") has *never* been an
> officially recognized designator." [their emphasis - agc]
>
> Whether or not that falls into NetBSD 's coding conventions or not,
> it's there for protection.

Please note the "Prior to 1989". I think we're past that date now, and copyright
exists wether or not you write it out in documents, so there is no need to have
any special format to whatever explicit copyright text notice you want to put in
the text. So it's perfectly fine to use "(c)" instead if you want to. It makes
no difference.

	Johnny

email: bqt@softjar.se             ||  Reading murder books