Subject: Re: No PS/2 keyboard = panic on X11 start
To: Jesse Peterson <jpeterson275@comcast.net>
From: Magnus Eriksson <magetoo@fastmail.fm>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/12/2007 10:54:00
On Sun, 11 Nov 2007, Jesse Peterson wrote:

> Is it normal to panic the machine when plugging in a PS/2 keyboard while
> the machine is running?

   No.  I've done it lots of times on this machine (Intel PIIX4 keyboard
controller, IBM Model M keyboard, 1.6 GENERIC) and many/several others.  I
suppose I could just have been lucky, but it seems unlikely.

> Not a real huge issue for me - I can shove an old PS/2 keyb behind the
> machine for a while to get by.

   Gut an old keyboard, keep only the cable, PCB and LEDs.  Then claim you
meant to do it all along so you could see the LED states.  Those damn
newfangled wireless keyboards...  :-)

   But really it sounds like something that fiddling with the BIOS various
"legacy" settings would fix.

Take care,
MAgnus