Subject: Re: ntp.conf man page
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Christos Zoulas <christos@astron.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/03/2007 15:20:31
In article <Pine.NEB.4.64.0711030951480.2006@glacier.reedmedia.net>,
Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net> wrote:
>On Sat, 3 Nov 2007, matthew sporleder wrote:
>
>> Is there a reason the ntp.conf man page is missing from my netbsd
>> system and not available on man.netbsd.org?
>
>We don't have an ntp.conf man page. The upstream doesn't provide an
>ntp.conf man page.
>
>The documentation is provided by the upstream as HTML. See
>/usr/share/doc/html/ntp/
>/usr/share/doc/html/ntp/index.html
>
>Any volunteers to create and maintain mandoc versions? (Maybe Debian or
>other has them?)

Ntpd had perfectly good man pages until someone decided that html
was the way to go and removed them. This is a pity, because it is
simple to generate good html from *roff, and there are tools to do
that, but it is difficult to generate *roff from html. I tried to
extract the information from html into man pages when we first
imported ntp4, but that was a long time ago and the information in
those pages is unfortunately out of date. If you agree with me that
ntpd should have man pages, please send mail to the maintainers and
let them know. Perhaps if enough people speak up they will change
their mind!

christos