Subject: Re: Large disks and NetBSD 4.0?
To: NetBSD Users <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/26/2007 19:44:56
On Mar 18, 12:40pm, Ronald Roskens wrote:
} On Fri, 2007-10-26 at 14:14 +0300, Jukka Marin wrote:
} >
} > I will try setting up a new server with a 3 TB (or so) RAID disk to be used
} > for XEN virtual machines.  What is the best way of partitioning the disk -
} > is it possible to disklabel disks this big in the normal way or should I be
} > using wedges or something?  Do wedges work with XEN?
}
} While I'm still new to setting up Xen under netbsd, here's some things
} I've learned:
}
} 2- The standard XEN3_DOM{0,U} kernels do not include the options for
} DKWEDGE_* and drvctl.
}
} wedges seem to be pretty cutting edge, and theres not a lot of
} documentation written about them. In particular, the ptype argument for
} dkctl addwedge isnt well defined. The types arent the same as their
} disklabel versions. (ie: ffs = 4.2BSD, lfs = 4.4LFS)
}
} You need to use gpt to create a GPT on the disk, but raidframe devices
} do not seem to be supported. If your not using raidframe, then GPT would
} seem to give you the flexibility in terms of the number of partitions it
} would support as wedges.

     This is because raidframe doesn't support drvctl.  It shouldn't be
too hard to add, but I don't have time to do it at this moment.  Greg
could probably find the correct spot to add the code a lot faster then
I could.

}-- End of excerpt from Ronald Roskens