Subject: Re: slow squid performance in comparative with centos
To: agtdino <agtdino@teleline.es>
From: Andrew Doran <ad@netbsd.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/09/2007 02:20:01
On Sat, Oct 06, 2007 at 08:54:43AM +0200, agtdino wrote:

> I'm getting general slow network performance in NetBSD vs Centos, with
> the same Hardware,  ( PIV- 500MB RAM 3COM 10/100Mb ) RAID0 for software
> with CCD -Concatenated disk device- )
>
>  Services in the server :
>
>  - Squid cache
>  - Dns only Caching Name Server
>
> For client are 30 machines all with the same hardware ( PIV - 256MB RAM
> 3com 10/100Mb ) with windows 2000

It should not be a problem serving 30 active users with this machine.

> There is a guide to provide high extreme performance with netbsd and
> squid?

Have you isolated the cause of the slowness? "netstat -b 1" will show you
network traffic. Have a look at the interfaces with "netstat -i" and see if
there are errors. Run "systat vmstat" look at the area describing disk I/O
to see if any of the disks are under pressure. Also have a look at
PAGING/SWAPPING in the top right to see if the system is running low on
memory.

Thanks,
Andrew