Subject: Re: virtualization and a SCO openserver on NetBSD? vmware3?
To: NetBSD Users's Discussion List <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/05/2007 17:37:13
On Fri, Oct 05, 2007 at 05:14:04PM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> If that's the case, i.e. that the SCO box is just voicemail, then I'm
> almost absolutely certain that an Asterisk box could be configured to do
> voicemail for the Merlin system.  In fact I'd guess the SCO voicemail
> system is just acting one or more extensions that are hung off the
> Merlin, and given the special designation of being voicemail numbers.
> Many (most?) voicemail systems are just call-forward on busy/no-answer.

Plus SMDI -- without it, things like the voicemail indicator (light or
stutter dialtone) -- on the served number don't work.

One of the NetBSD developers wrote an SMDI library for a company we both
worked at about a decade ago, which is now defunct.  I should see who
owns that code, and if either of us happen to have it around.

SMDI can be encapsulated in ISDN D-channel signaling or just run over a
serial port.  If asterisk can't do the latter it can't be too hard to
teach it to do so.  I *might* have an SMDI specification around here
somewhere.