Subject: Re: Installing local packages and NetBSD guide
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/25/2007 10:23:05
On Tue, 25 Sep 2007, Martin Husemann wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 25, 2007 at 09:15:27AM -0500, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> > I think it should be added back with a note about its use.
>
> I disagree - NetBSD mtree files have no right to tell the administrator
> what permissions directories should have that NetBSD does not even care
> about.

This was not about mtree specifications (unless I overlooked something).

But about hier(7) manpage which starts with:

   An outline of the filesystem hierarchy.

   Naming is very important.  The UNIX System relies on filename
   conventions for much of its power as a system.  The following file
   system layout describes generally where things are and what they are,
   with references to other man pages for more detailed documentation.

   Not all files will be in every system.