Subject: Re: Installing local packages and NetBSD guide
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/25/2007 09:15:27
On Tue, 25 Sep 2007, Magnus Eriksson wrote:

> >> So shouldnt man hier mention /usr/local ?
>
> Hm, it does: (at least on my system)
>
>                  local/    local executables, libraries, etc.

That was removed almost five years ago.

revision 1.49
date: 2002/12/20 06:39:55;  author: lukem;  state: Exp;  lines: +1 -15
Remove /usr/local (and children) from the base distribution; we shouldn't
be creating directories or modifying permissions under there.

(/usr/local/* is still retained in various default PATHs, for convenience)

I don't know who "we" is though. I think that is from the view of NetBSD
itself, and not the administrator.

I think it should be added back with a note about its use.