Subject: Re: Problems with libedit and international characters
To: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
From: Chris Wilson <chris@qwirx.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/23/2007 19:57:28
Hi Christos,

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007, Christos Zoulas wrote:

> | Perhaps that code could be factored out of tcsh so that we don't have
> | outdated copies of it lying around? And tcsh could use libedit?
>
> That was the plan that never materialized :-) Unfortunately never found
> the time to do it (and tcsh has a lot of nasty hooks in the edit code).

OK, I'll look into it whenever I get bitten by this.

> | But right now I'm not sure I know what to do, unless it's trivial to
> | copy out of tcsh. (I'd need a library or function for utf-8
> | reading/writing, I guess, and I don't know what that would be).
>
> man mbrtowc... and look how tcsh handles input... It is not that hard to
> do.

Thanks for the link, didn't know mbrtowc could do this.

> | > You need to call setlocale(); this works:
> |
> | You're absolutely right, now it works on glibc too, my bad!
> |
> | If this is required to use editline, then perhaps it could be
> | documented somewhere and added to the fileman example?
>
> I guess I can add it to the example but calling setlocale() is required
> by all programs that want to use localization, not just ones that use
> editline.

But I think that as fileman is the "most obvious" example code for how to
use libedit, it should set a good example :-)

If fileman had worked but my program didn't, then I would have spent much
more time investigating the differences between the two, and I might not
have needed to ask here and disturb you all.

Cheers, Chris.
--